Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gluten Free Spaghetti Sauce with Meatballs.



"When the moon hits you eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore.." I recently had a Lady and the Tramp moment with my puppies. I fed them 1 large noodle and they each gobbled a side until, viola! They kissed. It's the little silly things that make you smile in life. For my puppy love I had to go back to the Lady and the Tramp dinner classic. Spaghetti and meatballs (gluten free of course).
When making this your entire house will smell of delicious Italian flavors and the neighbors will come knocking to see where the yummy smells are coming from.







Ingredients:

Sauce:
  • 1 C chopped onion
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 C olive oil
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp white sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 3/4 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 C good red wine (I used Graveyard Wnineries Cabernet Sauvignon. They are a local winery where I live and amazingly tasty)


Meatballs:
1 lb of ground beef (I used 85/15 beef from Trader Joes)
1/2 lb of ground pork ( I had some left over sweet Italian sausage so I just took of the casing and used those)
1 C of fresh GF bread crumbs **
1 tbsp of dried parsley (fresh if you got it but dried is great too)
1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp of ground pepper
1/4 tsp of garlic powder

*** I keep a loaf of Kinnikinnick Gluten free tapioca bread in my freezer. I pulled out 3 pieces, put in the microwave for 1 minute, and then threw it in the food processor . Viola fresh gluten free breadcrumbs.***

Directions:

  • In a large bowl, combine ground beef, pork, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 12 balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.
  • In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more. Serve.

Here is the link for Graveyard Winery in case you would like to try amazing wine.
Bon Appetit.

2 comments:

Pam said...

So you cook the meatballs in the sauce for only 30 min? I've never done it that way - usually you have to brown them.

Also - nice shameless plug for your winery ;)

Thanisha said...

Ian gobbled them up. Cooking the meatballs in the sauce, it keeps the meatballs super juicy and tender