Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom soup, is there such a thing?


Yes there is! It is a simple recipe that you can use when recipes call for cream of this or cream of that to be added.

I am making cream of mushroom but the mushrooms can be changed out for chicken, celery, or cheese.

Ingredients:

10 oz mushrooms (1 package diced up, I like the baby bella's but use what you like)
1 tb butter to saute the mushrooms

1 c. cold milk
3 Tb. sweet rice flour or rice flour, or 2 Tb. cornstarch
2 Tb. butter or olive oil
1 tsp. chicken bouillon or vegetable bouillon
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

In a frying pan saute the mushrooms with about 1 tbsp of butter. I do this to cook out some of the liquid in the mushroom. Once the mushrooms are reduced in size (about half) set aside.

In another pan, add the milk. I usually have all my dry ingredients already measured out and in another bowl so I can add everything easily. Add dry ingredients to milk. Whisk continuously. The sauce with start to thicken up. Once it starts to boil, turn off the heat and add the mushrooms. I whisk until everything looks mixed in.

The recipe is equivalent to one can of cream of mushroom. I like to double the recipe when I make it, mostly because it is a time saver for me.

The picture I took is the cream of mushroom sauce but I kind of think it came out looking like cookie dough batter. Bon Appetite.

No comments: