Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gluten Free Lemon Meringue Bars


I call this a bar because I used a 9'1/2 by 12'1/2 pan. It was a rainy Friday but I was craving that spring time lemon taste. I had a bunch of lemons sitting around and viola, the Lemon Meringue Bar was created but a gluten free twist. I have been loving Bob's Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour, so I decided to make a crust using that instead of Bob's All Purpose GF Flour. The coconut flour is sweet without being overpowering and the crust came out like graham cracker crust. This is another reason I love coconut flour. Anyhoo, this is my GF ( gluten free) take on the classic lemon meringue pie. Lets start on the crust first.

Ingredients:

Crust;
1 stick of cold butter. (I usually leave it in the refrigerator until right before I need it.)
1/4 C of sugar
1 1/4 C of Coconut Flour (can be found at most health food stores or Whole Food, Henry's, etc..)
1 egg yolk (save the egg white for the meringue)
Pinch of Kosher Salt
5 - 6 tbsp of ice water.

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
9 1/2 by 12 1/2 pan
I used butter and greased my pan and added GF flour to coat the pan

I put the butter, sugar, egg yolk flour, and salt in my food processor and pulsed it for about a little under a minute (maybe 45 seconds). You want it to look grainy, kind of like Parmesan cheese. Then I started to add the water, a little at a time. To check the consistency of the dough, grab a handful and make a fist. If it stays together it is the right consistency. One thing with coconut flour is that it is more dry and dense than regular flour so you may need to add more water as you go along.

Ok, so once the consistency is what you want, I dump the whole thing out on a floured cutting board. I used the coconut flour on the cutting board. I basically used my hands to work all the flour together. You will find with GF flour that is it more loose and has a tend to fall apart on you, and this is where my rectangle 9 1/2 by 12 1/2 came into play. There was no way to roll this dough out like a traditional pie crust.
I picked up the dough, placed it in the pan (greased and GF floured) and using my fingers just tried to work the dough all around (something you might do if you make cookie bars.)

I covered the pan with aluminum foil and baked for about 10 minutes, took the aluminum foil off and baked for another 5 minutes. If your not sure about the dough, touch the center and it should feel dry if it is done.

Filling Time!!!!! You can now turn your oven down to 350 degrees F.

Lemony goodness Ingredients:

1 C sugar
2 tbsp of All Purpose GF Flour
3 tbsp of corn starch
1/4 tsp of kosher salt
1 1/2 C of water
3 lemons juiced and zested.
2 tbsp of butter
4 egg yolks beaten

In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, GF flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter.
Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. You do this so you temper the eggs without scrambling them.
Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick.
Remove from the heat and pour the lemon mixture into you crust pan.

To make the Meringue
Ingredients:

5 egg whites
6 tbsp of sugar

I use my Kitchenaid mixer but you can use a handheld mixer or if you are feeling overzealous you can whisk by hand.

Whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.

Bake for about 14 minutes, or until the meringue gets a light golden brown.

Bon Appetite.

No comments: