Thursday, May 5, 2011

Homemade Sweet and Sour Mix and Margaritas!


Today is Cinco de Mayo and what better way to celebrate but with chips and salsa, guacamole, and margaritas.
Margaritas are one of my favorite drinks. Unfortunately I usually do not indulge in them often because the sweet and sour mix most places use is too acidic for my tummy.
So naturally the solution is to make my own and experiment. I made a Cadillac margarita, which just means that an addition of a Grand Marnier floater (shot poured on top of the drink) to the traditional margarita.

To make the sweet and sour mix

  • 1 C of lemon juice (it was about 5 lemons)
  • 1 C of lime juice (about 6 limes, depending on how juicy the lime)
  • 1 1/2 C of water
  • 1 1/2 C of sugar

Combine water and sugar in large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil. Cool syrup.

Mix syrup, lemon juice and lime juice in pitcher. Chill until cold. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; keep chilled)



My recipe for 1 glass of yummy margarita is the following:

  • 3 shots of sweet and sour mix
  • 1 1/2 shots of Patron silver tequila
  • 1 1/2 shots of Grand Marnier
The picture I took is after I mixed the margarita and had some sample tastes. Hey I had to make sure it tasted good and YES it did!
Oh and I don't own margarita glasses so a pint glass works just as well.





No comments: